Your role as a Parish Safeguarding Officer
The Parish Safeguarding Officer is a vital role in building a strong safeguarding culture within our parishes and we are grateful for all of you within the Diocese who step forward to take on this responsibility. You are the key link between the Diocese and parishes concerning safeguarding matters. You will have an overview of all church activities involving children, young people and vulnerable adults, and will seek to ensure the implementation of safeguarding policy.
For details of the tasks involved in the role of the PSO please read the PSO's role description.
Information for New Parish Safeguarding Officers
If you are new to the role of the Parish Safeguarding Officer then thank you for volunteering for this essential role. As the Diocesan Safeguarding Team we are here to provide you with support and answer any questions you may have.
As a new in Post Parish Safeguarding Officer ensure that you complete the following steps:
- Contact Debbie Doran, tel 0151 705 2124, email with details of your name, address,telephone number, email address and which church you will be serving in this role, this will ensure that in future you will recieve correspondence relevant to your role
- Ensure you have read and understand the tasks involved in the role of the Parish Safeguarding Officer
- Attend a Parish Safeguarding Officer Induction Session as soon as possible after commencing your role, these sessions will give you an understanding of what a Parish Safeguarding Officer does and as a result of attending the training you will be equipped with all the tools you need to carry out this role successfully. The next available Induction sessions will be held on: Monday 30th January via zoom from 7.00-9.00pm - click to book via eventbrite and Tuesday 27th June at St Cleopas Church, 400 Mill St, Dingle, Liverpool L8 4RF 7-9.00pm - click to book via eventbrite
- Complete the relevant level of Safeguarding Training - see training requirements section for details.
Parish Safeguarding Officer Forums
Join us at our Parish Safeguarding Officer Forums which will give you a chance to meet with other PSO's and members of the Safeguarding Team. It will be your opportunity to catch up on current guidance, share good practice, ask questions, network and in addition at each forum, we will focus on a specialist topic. PSO’s can attend as many sessions as they want however places are limited. Please see details below for dates and booking links:
Tuesday 29th November from 8.00-8.30pm at St Bartholomew’s Church, Church Lane, Roby, Hutyon, L36 9TL – specialist focus will be Domestic Abuse - click to book via eventbrite
Tuesday 17th January from 7.00-8.30pm at St Philips Church, 301-302 Westbrook Centre, Warrington, WA5 8UF – specialist focus will be Neglect - click to book via eventbrite
Wednesday 15th March from 1.30-3.00pm at St John’s Church, 708 Liverpool Road, Ainsdale, Southport, PR8 3QE– specialist focus will be Modern Day Slavery - click to book via eventbrite
Tuesday 16th May from 1.30-3.00pm at St James’ House, 20 St James Road, Liverpool, L1 7BY – specialist focus will be Mental Health - click to book via eventbrite
Wednesday July 19th from 7-8.30pm at St Paul’s Church, 75 Chain Lane, Blackbrook, St Helens, WA11 9QF – specialist focus will be Supporting Refugees Safely - click to book via eventbrite
Safeguarding Training requirements for a Parish Safeguarding Officer
As a Parish Safeguarding Officer you are required to complete the following sessions of Safeguarding Training
- Induction Session which gives you an understanding of what a Parish Safeguarding Officer does and as a result of attending the training you will be equipped with all the tools you need to carry out this role successfully. The next induction sessions will be available on: Monday 30th January 2023, 7.00-9.00pm via zoom – click for Eventbrite booking link and Tuesday 27th June 2023, 7.00-9.00pm at St Cleopas Church, 400 Mill Street, Dingle, Liverpool L8 4RF – click for Eventbrite booking link
- Basic and Foundation Training which can be completed online via the Church of England Safeguarding portal - Safeguarding Training Portal (cofeportal.org)
- Leadership Training - Leadership for Parish Safeguarding Oficers will be available - details will be posted once the dates have been finalised.
- Raising Awareness of Domestic Abuse which can be completed online via the Church of England Safeguarding Portal - Safeguarding Training Portal (cofeportal.org)
- Safer Recruitment and People Management which can be completed online via the Church of England Safeguarding Portal - Safeguarding Training Portal (cofeportal.org). Face to face sessions of this training will also be available details will be posted once the dates have been finalised.
DBS Requirments for Parish Safeguarding Officers
For guidance on the DBS requirments for a Parish Safeguarding Officer use the following link - DBS checks for Parish Safeguarding Officers
Continued Support for you
We know that those who take on the role of Parish Safeguarding Officer are volunteers, often balancing these responsibilities with other work and commitments. It can be hugely demanding and therefore the Diocesan Safeguarding Team is always here to help and support you. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any help or guidance. The Safeguarding Team details are:
Andy Holmes, Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser - telephone 07940 378139 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mick Murphy, Deputy Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser - telephone 07376 431466 or email: email@example.com
Karen Williams, Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser - telephone 07946 189061 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Debbie Doran, Safeguarding Support - contact of issues relating to Safer Recruitment, DBS, Parish Safeguarding Officer Support, Lead and Additional Recruitment Information. Hours of work - Tuesday and Wednesday 8.30 am-5.30 pm. Tel 0151 705 2124 or email: email@example.com